Saturday, June 1, 2019

Walkersville WV History Walk

First day of summer vacation for this Middle School Social Studies Teacher!

I can’t think of a better way than to take a local history walk.

This journey started with a letter to Sam Mick, a resident of Ireland, West Virginia where I live. It was provided to me by Sam’s daughter Sandy and her husband Buzz King. The letter contains handed down accounts commonly heard by folks who grew up in southern Lewis County WV. I am not one of those people - but as a History teacher I have taken a keen interest in the family histories of the residents here.

So today, our journey will attempt to take us back to the 1840s when Walkersville was founded and we will journey from the covered bridge to the tiny village itself.  Settlement in this area began as early as 1787. It was nothing but wilderness way back then as you can imagine. Life was all about survival back then. To create a home in the wilderness is beyond my experiences yet holds fascination. How hard those people had to work every day! And I thought dealing with 7th and 8th graders was challenging ...

No comments: