Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summer Vacation - Day 2

I love to travel...and I have done it enough to know that one should always plan for the unexpected. No problem...but that doesn't mean I actually enjoy trying to occupy myself in an airport for 8 hours waiting for a flight I should have been on yesterday! I read an entire book in the lounge of Gate 32: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was a Christmas present from Alicia who had also given me The Kite Runner the previous summer - a book that I like to think helped get me my teaching job last year...but that's another story.

Finally, I board the flight and as luck would have it, my seat mate was a chatty woman in her 60s who actually lives in York, England - the 1st destination in my rescheduled itinerary. My original plan had been to spend my first day at the Lancashire Records Office in Preston to search for dead ancestors. That activity will have to be rescheduled for another trip - another time. The flight was pleasant and even though I can never sleep on an airplane, I did not mind as Katherine was a nice and informative companion. She suggested that we travel together to York which I readily agreed to.

No comments: