Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summer Vacation - Day 4













A full day was planned for this day – starting with the Richard III museum located in Monks Bar – another of the stone gatehouses along the city wall. This museum was even tackier than the one at Micklegate Bar and I was severely disappointed. I had envisioned an intellectually serious, historically rich and technologically interactive experience based upon the website I had found. The reality was just the opposite. I bought a poster of Richard III at their little gift shop to display in my classroom. I do not get the opportunity to teach any English History in my 7th and 8th grade curriculum but am hoping to take advantage of any teachable moment its presence will provoke. I’m sure to get at least the question, “Who is that?” which will give me the opportunity to briefly indulge in my passion for British history!
After a lunch of steak and ale pie [delicious!] at a nearby pub, I set out for York Minster. As luck would have it, I was just in time to join a free tour of the Minster which was absolutely delightful. The tour guide was a gentleman in his 70s named Graeme who was extremely well versed in the history of the building. Aunt Janet and I had previously visited the Minster but once again, time constraints had prevented me from fully exploring the site. Graeme’s tour lasted well over an hour, much to my delight, and was thoroughly satisfying. At the end of the tour, I asked to be directed to the stained glass window commissioned by King Richard III in honor of the death of his son and heir. Graeme did not know its location but promptly went in search of the information. The window was located and I was happy.
I left the Minster and went in search of Bootham Bar, another of the ancient entryways into the city. I knew it to be near the Minster and found it with little difficulty. I continued my walk through the city towards Clifford’s Tower, the only structure which remained of York Castle. I declined to climb the hill and pay the steep admission fee so view an empty stone fortification so I wandered over to the York Castle museum. By this time it was after 5pm and the museum was closed. I was disappointed as it looked to be a substantial building which probably would have been much more satisfying than yesterday’s Yorkshire museum. Thwarted, I walked back across the length of the city to return to the Inn in search of supper and some much needed rest.

No comments: